GOING DARK // ABBADIA A ISOLA
2—3 November 2023 Tuscany, Italy
2—3 November 2023
Monteriggioni, Tuscany, Italy
Join us in Going Dark in the heart of Tuscany, a workshop that specifically considers lighting design for heritage spaces that also preserves darkness and the view of the night sky.
Monteriggioni is a medieval castle town is along the Via Francigena pilgrim track connecting Canterbury to Rome and 3km further along the rural track is the monastery village of Abbadia a Isola. This tiny village is a heritage preserve and the main focus of this event is to help create the right lighting approach throughout.
The main objective of the workshop encompasses a living lab scenario where participants can work together on site to create concepts to share with the local municipality that demonstrate a responsible approach to lighting. It is a chance to be part of an intimate and exclusive event that aims to promote the town, the co-existence of light, architecture and darkness proving it is possible to celebrate architectural heritage whilst also considering and therefore protecting the night sky.
WHY PARTICIPATE // LIVING LAB
- A unique experience in the unpolluted night sky of Tuscany.
- Education session (see program) led by lighting designers and architects; Light Collective and Traverso-Vighy.
- Participants will have the opportunity to explore the historical area, discover the night sky and explore how to design for this environment.
- Understand the problems inherent in heritage lighting by reviewing the existing lighting and leading case studies.
- Practical and hands-on playing with light and luminaires – learn about glare control, proper optics, appropriate colour temperature, dimming and control.
- Opportunity to see the stars with local astronomy group.
- Expand your lighting portfolio and produce a concept with your team for a site that will be presented to the local municipality to demonstrate exemplar lighting.
75 EUROS includes lunch and dinner on 2nd Nov and a bed in a shared dormitory in the monastery plus breakfast and lunch on 3rd Nov. Travel to and from Monteriggioni to be arranged by the participant.